Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Teaching

Day 22 - Rant About Something - Get on Your Soapbox and Tell How You Really Feel

I have my undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Education.
Both of my parents are teachers.
We have many friends who are teachers as well.

Teaching is a WONDERFUL occupation.
You get to educate as well as touch and help to mold people's lives.

However...
I believe teachers tend to be under appreciated.
Some people don't realize how hard it truly is to be a teacher.

The idea of paying teachers based on test scores is mind boggling to me.
In districts I'm familiar with:
Kids come to school hungry
Kids come to school tired due to unfortunate circumstances at home
There is not a support system at home
The list goes on...
All of these things make it harder for children to behave, concentrate, and learn.

I despise when people say - "Are you going to do your ABCs and count to ten today? Must be rough."

I could go on and on about how wonderful teachers are and how much behind the scenes work they do.
Trying to keep this short and sweet, though. :)


6 comments:

  1. amen!! i am teacher too and i sure as heck don't do it for the money!

    i think teachers,firefighters,police officers,our armed services and nurse should be paid WAY more than they are. let's be honest,this world wouldn't be to go around without any of them!

    cute blog you have,by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you are definitely right.. The world would not survive without teachers (or the others that you listed)!!

      Delete
  2. My step mother was a high school science teacher and one day she was crying about her job and said, "How can I teach science to a kid who is living out of a garbage bag and has no place to sleep at night?"
    Not to mention people act like having summer off is a good thing... I mean, you have to find another job for three months! That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stepmother is right! I know of students living in a single hotel room with 10 people, students who have no heat, and so on. Sad!! Teachers do much more than teach..

      While having the summer off can be enjoyable, not making money isn't very fun! Ha.

      Delete
  3. I hate the idea of paying teacher according to score! HATE! my dad taught for 40 years and I so understand the academic hardships that teachers endure every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a terrible idea! If we could somehow eliminate testing, students could have a much more well-rounded education! :) Instead, teachers tend to have to focus on certain areas to prepare for testing.

      Delete